Sunday 30 October 2011

Robbin Hoodie Evaluation

After completing my first edit of Robbin Hoodie i feel quite pleased with my outcome.  The filming process took a couple of days to complete, as me and my group tried to get different varations and styles of one shot so that when it came to creating our short film on Adobe Premier Pro CS5 we had different selected footage to choose from.  Whilst filming i found that as a group we all worked really well together, we all had a lot of influence in the process and we all went about things in different ways, which i believe when filming is exactly what you need.  However, although we were all working well together i felt that the actual process was quite a challenge, i haven’t had much practice with filming before and using the equipment after joining the course late without having tuition and an understanding of how the equipment worked did slow my personal filming process.
In terms of locations and shots i felt that we did really well, individually and as a group.  We only worked with a few various locations such as the Arboretum, The Castle and also some shots which were filmed on the road sides in Nottingham to help us get our establishing shots.  One shot which i found particularly effective was the establishing shot of the tram as we got the camera to pan, following the motion of the tram to add effect.  I also had one idea in my head which i had thought of and knew i wanted to capture before we actually began filming.  This was a shot which would bring one of my initial sketches from my planning book to life; it was a medium shot of “Robin Hoodie” himself stood in a kind of grunge looking place.  Once I had this shot it was then really the editing which would make it what I had already pictured, however I knew I needed the shot as a starting point so to get multiple variations of that one specific shot really helped me bring my ideas of what i wanted the outcome of my short film to be.
Throughout filming I did find that having to continuously adjust the camera position, the stand for the camera and also the level that the camera was at fairly tedious, although adjusting these and then also the white balance gave us a lot of good shots so the extra time put into adjusting it all was worth it.
When it came to actually editing my footage to create the short film i came across a few problems.  Sound was probably my biggest dilemma as i knew how to cut and edit the clips together but altering the sound I wasn’t too sure on. Especially when there was a lot of movement from clip to clip, or if it went from movement to a still shot it was hard to keep up the continuity with the sound.  Although I was able to get round the dilemma by unlinking the sound from one clip and continuing it over following clips so that the sound was integrated from clip to clip.  The only thing is that I wished as a group we would have recorded the atmospheric sounds, that way I wouldn’t have had to copy the sounds but imported specific ones to match the shots.
Overall i feel pleased with the outcome of my short film.  It has enabled me to gain a wider understanding of Premier Pro and i will be able to create a higher quality piece of footage the next time i use the software.

No comments:

Post a Comment